The coaching process always follows a similar method. At first, there will be a 90-minute discovery session where the coach and client spend time exploring what the overarching coaching objective is, identifying areas in which the client wants to grow, and creating clear measures of progress. It will be agreed on whether it’s necessary to set a halfway checkpoint, and when that will be. After the first session, each subsequent one will go through the following seven coaching stages.
- Connect and receive feedback from the previous coaching session.
- Set the coaching topic for the current session.
- Identify what you want to have obtained by the end of the session.
- Explore what makes the current topic important for you. Obtain clarity on your thoughts, assumptions, and ideas.
- Create possibilities or alternative ways of viewing the situation.
- Design actions and an accountability framework.
- Recap on learning or discoveries made in the session.