Five things explain what coaching is not, so as to remove any misunderstandings or expectations of what isn’t included in the coaching process.
- Coaching is not meant to create any co-dependence. The aim is to help you grow and support you so that after the coaching is complete, you’re empowered to go your own way.
- Coaching does not dwell in the past, nor does it aim to analyse or fix past life events. Coaching has a future orientation, and respects that engaging in healing past events is for other qualified professionals.
- Coaching does not seek to give you advice or diagnose your problems. You’re the expert of your life, and have all the knowledge and understanding of your situation. You are capable and competent to find solutions to your own challenges.
- Coaching sessions are not training sessions where skills or competencies are transferred. In a coaching session you set the agenda, the topic to be discussed, and the desired outcome.
- Coaching is not prescriptive, so the coach won’t tell you what to do. You choose what you’re willing to explore, reflect, and experiment with.